Gamma Vaccines is developing GammaFlu®, a universal flu vaccine that is expected to do away with the need to produce new influenza vaccines each year. GammaFlu® is also being designed to be effective against any new pandemic strain, enabling it to be stockpiled and used as an immediate emergency response to any new influenza pandemic.
Gamma Vaccines manufactures and kills influenza virus in a manner that preserves the proper structure of the virus and its various proteins. By using gamma irradiation – a procedure in wide-spread use to sterilize surgical instruments and stop spoilage of perishable fruits – a killed virus preparation can be obtained that is no longer infectious and which induces a potent immunity to different influenza virus strains and subtypes.
Gamma Vaccines Pty Ltd is an Australian company targeting primarily the human and avian influenza market.
Formed in July 2009, the company is developing a universal, cross-protective influenza virus vaccine, GammaFlu®, designed to replace current seasonal injectable flu vaccines with an easy-to-administer, long lasting intranasal vaccine. The Company’s products also hold the prospect of being able to be stockpiled for use as an immediate first response to any new influenza pandemic.
Gamma Vaccines’ proprietary technology was invented by leading viral immunologists from The Australian National University’s John Curtin School of Medical Research. The company has attracted seed investment funds and two early stage innovation grants from the federal government and the Australian Capital Territory government to support its development of a universal flu vaccine.
Founded by experienced early-stage managers and the inventors themselves, the company is currently negotiating with several partners in Asia and Europe to commence clinical trials for applications in both human and animal vaccination markets.
- Follow-On Investment | 18 February 2014PT SOHO INDUSTRI PHARMASI HAS MADE A FURTHER FOLLOW-ON INVESTMENT IN GAMMA VACCINES TO SUPPORT TESTING OF GAMMA-FLU IN THE FERRET MODEL OF INFLUENZA
- Biotech Showcase 2014 | 15 January 2014GAMMA VACCINES CHAIRMAN GIVES PRESENTATION AT BIOTECH SHOWCASE 2014 IN SAN FRANCISCO
- China Vaccine Focus | 13 September 2013GAMMA VACCINES CHAIRMAN GIVES KEYNOTE PRESENTATION AT CHINA VACCINE FOCUS IN BEIJING
- ACT Trade Mission to Indonesia | 22-26 April 2013GAMMA VACCINES PARTICPATES IN THE FIRST ACT GOVERNMENT TRADE MISSION TO INDONESIA
- Patent Granted in Australia | 24 January 2013GAMMA VACCINES CORE INTELlECTUAL PROPERTY RECEIVES PATENT PROTECTION WITH THE ISSUE OF A DEED OF LETTERS PATENT BY IP AUSTRALIA